2 kit foxes found dead in Bakersfield, possibly from eating poisoned rodents
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) —
Two San Joaquin kit foxes were found dead from poisoning last month in Bakersfield.
The dead kit foxes were found 10 miles apart and reported by citizens to a conservation group.
The CDFW said kit foxes, which are thriving in Bakersfield but are listed under the federal Endangered Species Act, commonly eat rodents and can be harmed when eating rodents that were poisoned as a method of pest control.
The CDFW encouraged people to use alternate methods of pest control, such as sanitation and trapping.