Bakersfield Fire Department reminds residents to be 'Safe and Sane' this Fourth of July
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) —
The Bakersfield Fire Department is reminding residents about firework safety ahead of the Fourth of July.
The BFD reminds everyone that all legal fireworks must have the California Fire Marshal's seal and the slogan "Safe and Sane."
All illegal fireworks are subject to confiscation, and those who have them can be given a citation.
The BFD has set up a hotline, (661) 868-6070, for reporting illegal fireworks. The hotline will be staffed 7 p.m. to midnight July 3 and 4.
People with illegal fireworks can dispose of them, no questions asked, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 3 at Fire Station No. 1, near 22nd and G streets.
The BFD also offered a tips to help prevent any problems during celebrations:
- Always keep a water source nearby.
- Always have an adult present.
- Always ignite outdoors away from people, structures, vehicles, dry grass or other combustibles.
- Never alter or disassemble fireworks.
- Never reignite malfunctioning fireworks or light ones that have loose fuses or leaking powder.
- Never allow small children to ignite or handle fireworks, and keep animals away from fireworks.
- Never throw fireworks at another person or animal.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.