MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Bakersfield man charged in 'sextortion' case, prosecutor says 'reign of terror is over'

Image: MGN Online, file; Video: WXIN, WTTV via CNN Newsource

A Bakersfield man has been charged in federal court for alleged “sextortion" of girls in Indiana.

Buster Hernandez, 26, used social media to extort girls into providing sexually explicit pictures, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Using the screen name “Brian Kil," Hernandez also allegedly threatened violence when his alleged victims decided to stop complying. He's accused of threatening one girl with the "slaughter" of her class. Threats to use an explosive device are among his charges.

“Terrorizing young victims through the use of social media and hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet will not be tolerated by this office,” said U.S. Attorney Josh J. Minkler in a news release. “Those who think they can outwit law enforcement and are above being caught should think again. Mr. Hernandez’s reign of terror is over.”


The U.S. Attorney’s Office said Monday that this cyber-threat investigation started in 2015. Three alleged victims were highlighted by prosecutors, but they said they believe Hernandez conducted similar acts with victims in at least 10 federal districts.


“This was a unique and complex investigation that highlights the tenacity, perseverance, expertise and dedication of the FBI ...,” Special Agent in Charge W. Jay Abbott said in the news release. “I stood in front of concerned parents and community members and told them we would find the person who had been victimizing these young girls and, with the tireless work of our agents and partners, we never gave up.”

The U.S. Attorney’s Office asked anyone who thinks they were a victim of Hernandez to contact the Indianapolis FBI Office at (317) 595-4000, Option 2, or file a report online.

Trending