Names, number of shots released from Oildale OIS

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) A four-minute pursuit ended with seven gunshots and 41-year-old Christopher McDaniel dead.

That's some of the new information released Wednesday by the Kern County Sheriff's Office about a March 26 officer-involved shooting.

A deputy tried conducting a traffic stop on McDaniel around 10 p.m. that night near Beardsley Avenue in Oildale. The sheriff's office said McDaniel was riding a Honda motorcycle, later found to be stolen, at a high rate of speed in a residential area.

When McDaniel failed to stop, more deputies joined the chase.

McDaniel "drove with wanton disregard for the public" by speeding, failing to observe stop signs or traffic lights, and driving the motorcycle on sidewalks, the sheriff's office said.

Deputies briefly lost sight of McDaniel before he crashed in the intersection of South Plymouth and Beardsley.

Watch: Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood discusses Oildale OIS

Deputies Aaron Warmerdam and Jeffrey Kelley, both with at least six years experience, encountered McDaniel after his crash. McDaniel was running towards Warmerdam, who pulled out his baton, the sheriff's office said.

Kelley, a K-9 handler, deployed his dog partner Luke.

McDaniel then pulled a handgun from his waistband and pointed it at Warmerdam, who was about 5 feet away, the sheriff's office said.

That, according to the sheriff's office, prompted the deputies to shoot three times each at McDaniel.

The sheriff's office said they found evidence at the scene that McDaniel fired a round, too.

McDaniel was rushed to Kern Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The sheriff's dog, Luke, was shot and is expected to survive after having undergone surgery. Sheriff Donny Youngblood said in an afternoon press conference that they believe McDaniel shot the dog, though they aren't positive. The dog suffered a through-and-through wound.

Youngblood said toxicology tests on McDaniel aren't back, yet.

More than one witness told Eyewitness News at the time that they saw McDaniel surrendering.

"He put his hands to the air as he was surrendering, and they shot him three times," witness April Headley said the next day.

Warmerdam and Kelley are on routine administrative leave pending an internal review of the shooting.