Relay for Life releases 2017 attendance, fundraising numbers
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) —
The numbers are in.
Bakersfield's Relay for Life this weekend raised $726, 446. With the fiscal year ending on Aug. 31, that number is expected to rise.
More than 300 volunteers helped the event get off the ground, hosting 223 teams, 2,754 participants and 4,747 visitors.
There were 1,154 registered cancer survivors in attendance.
The top 10 fundraising teams are as follows:
- Aera Energy: $54,079
- Epi's Cancer Biters: $47, 645
- Survivor Bakersfield: $33,006
- Chevron: $29,193
- Stella Hills Basket Cases: $25,511
- Bringing Home The Cure: $25,000
- U.S. Postal Service Family and Friends: $24,725
- Bob Miller and Friends: $22,379
- Bimat Bulldogs: $21,547
- Bakersfield Hematology Oncology: $21,121
Individuals raised money, as well. According to organizers, the top ones were:
- Epi Herrera
- Marsha Weimer
- Beth Cheatwood
- Jean Browning
- Sandi Brown
- Priscilla Bacus
- Kathy Bess
- Scottie Miller
- Norma Medina
For more information on how you can still help the cause, visit the American Cancer Society website.