MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Shock, disappointment in Michael Slager mistrial from man who recorded video of shooting

Feidin Santana, the man who is central in the murder case against former North Charleston police officer Michael Slager, says he was disappointed and shocked when the mistrial was declared. (WCIV)

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) - Feidin Santana, the man who is central in the murder case against former North Charleston police officer Michael Slager, says he was disappointed and shocked when the mistrial was declared.

Santana recorded the fatal interaction between Slager and Walter Scott last year that left Scott dead behind a pawn shop off Remount Road in North Charleston.

He sat in court for the last week awaiting word from the jury that the group had reached a verdict. That verdict never came, however.

He's long called what he saw an abuse; it's even heard in the video recording of the shooting. He was also one of 55 people to testify in the case against Slager.

"It just makes it harder," Santana said Tuesday.

Now 25 and still working in North Charleston, he's the only witness to the fatal shooting of Scott.

"You ask yourself, what if there was no video? What if I wasn't there? Would we have gotten this far?" he said.

For attorneys of the Scott family, the message after court was adjourned was simple: justice delayed, not justice denied.

"This was a big missed opportunity to heal a lot of pain in the community, show the community that their lives matter and show officers that are out there doing their job that they are not Michael Slager - but it was a total fumble," said attorney Chris Stewart.

Scott's family also spoke outside the courthouse, and have shown up on news shows around the country since Judge Clifton Newman declared the mistrial.

"Justice hasn't been served yet, but we have more chances," said brother Anthony Scott. "A case as clear as it is with this type of evidence that this would be the outcome of this trial. You know, it's hard to see that."

Santana is likely to be called again to testify. Solicitor Scarlett Wilson has already said she will retry the case at a later date.

Scott's family is ready to start the process again.

"I trust God. I believe God. I am encouraged, because I know God is able. He will get his just reward," said Judy Scott, Walter's mother.

Wilson will have a chance to interview jurors to find out what resonated with them most in the hopes that a second trial will result in a conviction.

Trending