BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — College sophomores and juniors pursuing an undergraduate degree in broadcast/digital journalism or marketing can apply for a scholarship of up to $5,000.
The Sinclair Broadcast Diversity Scholarship Fund was established in 2016 to provide financial support to college students interested in television or digital journalism.
The Fund plans to award scholarships of up to $5,000 to qualifying and deserving students from underrepresented minority groups who need financial assistance to complete their degrees.
To qualify, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Must have a tie to one of these five states: California, Idaho, Montana, Oregon or Washington. (you must either be enrolled at a four-year undergraduate college or university in one of those states OR your permanent address must be within one of those states if your school is outside of that region).
- A current college sophomore or junior at a four-year undergraduate college or university (scholarships will be applied to applicant’s junior or senior year, respectively)
- A member of a minority ethnicity
- Studying in the areas of broadcasting, journalism, or marketing
- Carrying a minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA (or its equivalent) at the time of application.
Applicants may not be a fulltime employee or related to an employee, officer or board member of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. or and of its subsidiaries.
Students can complete the online application here.
Applicants must provide the following information and materials in English:
- Contact information
- Education information
- Qualification for financial aid
- Cover letter (must explain personal background, financial need, and career goals in 300 words or fewer)
- Detailed answer to one of two specific questions related to fields of journalism / marketing.
- Two (2) work samples (such as articles, video/audio clips, photos, personal website, or other relevant project)
- Unofficial College Transcript
The application deadline is April 14.