Timeline: How mass murder unfolded in Bakersfield
Here’s a breakdown of a shooting spree Wednesday that left six people, including the shooter, dead:
- Around 5:18 p.m., 54-year-old Javier Casarez opened fire at T&T Trucking near Highway 58 and Weedpatch Highway, killing one of the employees and as his recently divorced wife. Those two victims have been confirmed as 50-year-old Manuel Contreras and 45-year-old Petra Maribel Bolanos de Casarez.
- After that, Javier Casarez chased after a second T&T Trucking employee, identified as 50-year-old Antonio Valadez, and shot him dead around 5:24 p.m. at 8032 Di Miller Drive.
- The shooter then proceeded to 9406 Breckenridge Road, where he shot and killed 31-year-old Laura Garcia and 57-year-old Eliseo Cazares.
- The suspect then hijacked a car at 8100 block of Fillmore Avenue with a woman and child inside. The woman and child managed to escape unharmed.
- Around 5:55 p.m., Casarez drove the stolen car to 3309 Edison Highway, where he was located by a deputy who confronted him before Casarez ultimately shot himself.